Monday, January 5, 2009

The Clay Sculptor



Centre Daily Times Photos by Michelle Bixby

Geologist and sculptor Roger Pollok, of Zion, is surrounded by hand-sculpted clay coal miners from his "coal miners series." Pollok uses a well preserved 1800s farmhouse as his studio.

I had so much fun with my subject, Roger Pollok, on this assignment. He was such a good sport allowing me to experiment with some of my ideas for a creative portrait. In the photo of him with the coal-miner sculptures, he sat on an overturned trash can because he was too tall for that particular shelf and it was too uncomfortable for him to crouch down for too long.

In high school I was actually quite talented with the clay wheel. So needless to say, I've been inspired to resurrect one of my old hobbies. Roger is definitely encouraging it. He has offered to call me when he ventures out on one of his geographic expeditions to dig up clay so I can get started. He has even offered to let me use his clay wheel and kiln. I am pretty excited.


1 comment:

Pati Nanni said...

hi, i´m brazilian. beautiful work! : ))i'm back to see more.. see u........